The Pander Collection
Tongwenguan (Source: W.A.P. Martin, The Lore of Cathay, p. 18)
Eugen Pander (1854-1894[?]) was Professor of National Economics at Tongwenguan 同文館 College in Peking since 1881. He was a collector of Lamaist books and works of art. The entire collection was acquired by the Ethnological Museum in Berlin accessioned in 1889, but the books later passed into ownership of the Royal Library.
The Pander collection encompassed under A. 370 prints and manuscripts of Tibetan origin, under B. 315 prints and manuscripts from Peking, under C. 40 prints produced by Imperial command – the latter group containing texts in Tibetan, Mongolian, Chinese and, Manchurian. D. 60 volumes Tibetan canonical literature – commonly referred to as Pander Pantheon: parts of the Wanli Kanjur and the so-called Supplement of the Wanli Kanjur, E. 12 Mongolian manuscripts and prints as well as F. 68 Chinese prints and manuscripts. The Pander Collection was moved during the Second World War to Fürstenstein (today’s Ksiaz) and transferred from there to Grüssau (present-day Krzeszów). Today the entire collection (except for three missing titles from part A.) is preserved in Kraków.
During the project all items from Pander A. were unfortunately not available and the items Pander B . 32-50 were undergoing conservational treatment and therefore also not available for digitization. Hopefully this can be done at some time in the near future.
However, there have been two recent publications relating to the Pander collection:
Thupten Kunga Chashab and Filip Majkowski. 2015. Catalogue of the Tibetan texts in the Pander Collection. Part A (complete) and Part B (partial), held by the Jagiellonian Library, Cracow. Warsaw: Dom Wydawnicy ELIPSA.
Mejor, Marek, Helman-Ważny, Agnieszka and Thupten Kunga Chashab. 2010. A Preliminary Report on the Wanli Kanjur Kept in the Jagiellonian Library, Kraków. Warsaw: Research Centre of Buddhist Studies, Faculty of Oriental Studies, University of Warsaw.